Sunday, July 05, 2009

More Louisiana Food (and Music) Fun


A hilarious article in Offbeat: "In the Kitchen with Sunpie" (and when you click on "Sunpie" make sure the speakers are up).

Here's a little taste:
I used to be allergic to shrimp, made me deathly ill. The first time it hit me so hard it put me down on the ground. Thought I was going to die. Cramps, and I couldn't breathe. I'm allergic to the iodine. King crabs and stuff like that put the hurt on me. Hurt my feelings too. I had these friends when I was working at Jean Lafitte and they loved me and they had this restaurant. All they served was gumbo and po-boys, basically all shrimp. They served this big ol' bowl of gumbo that was nothing but shrimp and I couldn't get it across. "Huh?" So I was sitting there. "You want some more gumbo?" Finally, I had to say, "Look, I have to tell you, I think I'm allergic to shrimp." They said, "Huh? Huh?" He said, "Mama, come here!" She came out the kitchen. "What is it?" He said, "Mama, he's allergic to shrimps!" She said, "Huh? Oh, oh..." and she sat down as if somebody had died. "Oh, no... You're allergic to shrimp, how could that happen to you?" And she looked at me and she said. "Boo, what are you going to eat?!"
And, at no extra charge, here's a little lagniappe: a great video of Sunpie Barnes (who is also a National Park Ranger)...

1 comment:

Pr. Thomas E. Fast said...

Gotta love a guy named Sunpie. Louisiana has character(s).

One of my favorite sandwiches: shrimp poboy with butter, pickles, and ketchup. Can't beat it.

I'm stuck with lutefisk up here. Oh, and the occasional mountain oyster feed put on by the VFW. Yuck.