Thursday, March 18, 2010

What a Creepy Song!



This was a hit song for Tony Orlando and Dawn in 1973. I'm sure I heard it a zillian times on my old transistor radio when I was a kid - but I never really listened to the lyrics until a couple days ago when it came on the oldies station.

Creepy!

It's about a wife and mother who nuts up, runs off to New Orleans, and becomes a stripper - as her husband and children pine away for her. It's downright Stephen King stuff. But the real disturbing part of the song is the happy sing-songy faux-ragtime tune that it is set to - just like the old cheesy variety shows of the 1970s.

The only redeeming part of the tune is that it mentions New Orleans - you know, "keeping the New Orleans brand out there." And if you're going to pursue a career that involves disrobing, I think New Orleans is a better bet than, say, Minneapolis or Anchorage - based on climatology and all that. But even still, it can get pretty cold here in the winter. While it had nothing to do with the weather, we do know that everyone was fully clothed on Bourbon Street on February 7, 2010.

I know it's all presented tongue-in-cheek, but I don't think I ever care to hear this aural trainwreck again. It sounds like the Osbournes meet the Osmonds. But what do you expect. This is the same band that recorded a song with the title of a yeast infection.

4 comments:

oyster said...

Hi there, and many thanks for the link. Sorry to say I hadn't come across your blog before, but I look forward to following it closely, and enjoying your posted sermons.

Your right about the creepy lyrics. My father used to make occasional reference to the "with rings on her fingers and bells on her toes" line (which originates from an old nursery rhyme, according to the google). *Shudder*

Ted Badje said...

Well, Oyster, I hope that didn't scar you for life ;-).

This is just a pop song. I have heard much worse on FM Radio. What's the deal with maligning poor women who happen to be named Candida?

It's a Friday, hopefully, we can keep things light.

Rev. Larry Beane said...

Dear Oyster:

Glad you dropped by!

Now let's see if we can get that stupid tune (earworm?) out of our heads.

Rev. Larry Beane said...

Dear Ted:

You're right. There are much worse names today. I suppose we'll soon be reading about children named after text messaging and 'Net abbreviations.

How long before there will be twins named "LOL" and "ROFL"?