Monday, September 06, 2010

Labor Day!

We took advantage of Labor Day to do some much needed (and neglected) labor around the house. The side alley was in desperate need of weeding. Upon opening the side gate, I realized that I could not get into the alley that way, owing to a surprising weed: a banana tree that planted itself and happily grew to a good ten feet high or more.

This is a far cry from the kind of weeding I did as a kid in Ohio: pulling dandelions and the occasional thistle. In those days, I used knives from my mother's silverware drawer. In South Louisiana, it's not a bad idea to have a machete.

Mrs. H. took good care of the other side of the house. Now, if we could only have Labor Day every couple weeks or so...

A few more pics (including some "befores" and "afters") are here.

No comments: